Working out and burning calories at the comfort of the home is awesome. And at this situation or pandemic and social distancing, its not just awesome but its essential.
Following are some of the most popular piece of equipment that are widely used at home for fitness and workouts. They can not just come affordable but I have listed out some top picks along the line.
So lets get started.
In general, treadmills or running machines are the most commonly used piece of gym equipment in the home. This is because treadmills are one of the best forms of aerobic exercise for improving your general fitness level. They provide a safe alternative to outdoor running.
Outdoor running is generally associated with injuries and joint problems in later life due to the high impact, the muscles and joints experience during this type of exercise. Running machines offer a controlled environment with a flat and cushioned surface. The cushioned running area ensures that the impact experienced by the joints in the legs is minimized to alleviate the stresses and strains on the body during exercise.
Regular exercise on running machines helps to improve cardiovascular health, weight loss, and also muscle tone. Read what types of exercises you can do on a treadmill right here.
There are several factors to consider when purchasing a treadmill. They involve the following:
- How fast do you want to be able to run?
- Do you require programs for motivational use?
- Does the treadmill need to fold for storage reasons?
- What kind of user weight will it encounter?
- Do you require the treadmill to link up to a Heart Rate Monitor?
The questions above will help you to make your decision in line with your personal requirements.
Exercise bikes are an ideal piece of fitness equipment for Home-Use activity as they require very little room. They are also very quiet during operation, which means you can use one effectively whilst watching your favorite TV program. Exercise bikes focus on the leg muscles whilst also being an ideal option for any weight loss or cardiovascular goals. An exercise bike may also suit those with injuries preventing them from running or back problems. To coincide with this, two options are available:
- Upright Bikes
- Recumbent Bikes
Upright bikes offer the commonly experienced cycle seating position however the recumbent bikes offer an easier dismount position due to a lower seat.
Cross trainers or Elliptical Trainers are the fastest-growing types of fitness equipment. Cross trainers allow for a low-impact workout whilst exercising both lower and upper body muscle groups. The smooth rhythmical motion can be performed both forwards and backward, which also allows different muscle groups to be targeted through the same machine. The success of the Cross trainer has arisen as individuals are moving away from treadmills to the low-impact total body workout machines. When looking to purchase a cross trainer, the following should be considered:
- Do you require programs on the systems?
- Would you prefer an electronic resistance system compared to a manual resistance mechanism?
- The price of the ideal system will be heavily affected by the size and weight of the moving wheel. The size of the wheel however is dependant upon the height of the product’s users. Who else will be using the system and will this affect the size of the wheel to ensure an effective workout for all?
Rowing Machines offer the most effective total body workout. This piece of gym equipment uses both the lower and upper body in even proportions.
If time is of the essence to the user then the Rower would help to maximize the exercise achieved as 30 minutes on a rower would be comparable to 45 minutes on any other form of equipment.
There are three common types of resistance used for Rowing Machines:
- Air Resistance – (Such as a Concept II) This system offers the most realistic alternative as the Air Resistance achieves a full action and also smooth stroke.
- Water Resistance – (Such as the WaterRower) This system provides both the feel and sound of the real movement as if it was being performed on a lake.
- Magnetic Resistance – (Such as the Kettler Coach) This system offers a smooth but also easily variable movement. These systems are also generally shorter which may be an advantage if space is an issue.
Multi gyms allow a wide variety of exercises to be performed in the comfort and convenience of the home. The multi gym is one of the most versatile pieces of fitness equipment available for strength training and muscle toning. They can be used safely without the aid of a second person during the later reps. The exercises commonly achieved on a multi gym involve:
Multi gyms provide a safe and cost-effective alternative to Free Weight Exercises and can be used to improve general body strength and also to condition major muscle groups. A Multi Gym will allow for either muscle tone or muscle growth. The health benefits include:
- Stronger Muscles
- A Leaner and more toned body
- Healthier Bones
- Higher Metabolic Rate